How To Recover a Deleted APFS Partition?
If you have accidentally deleted an APFS partition on your Mac, don’t worry! There are a few ways you can recover your lost data. In this article, we’ll show you how to recover a deleted APFS partition using Disk Drill, a powerful data recovery software for Mac.
If you have recently deleted an APFS partition from your Mac, there is still hope that you can recover it. Here are a few tips on how to check if you have an APFS partition and how to recover it if you do.
First, open the Terminal application. You can find this in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Once Terminal is open, type in the following command:
This will list all of the disks and partitions on your Mac. Look for the disk that used to contain the APFS partition. It will likely be labeled as “disk0s2” or something similar.
Next, type the following command into Terminal, replacing “disk0s2” with the actual disk identifier for your deleted APFS partition:
diskutil apfs list /dev/disk0s2
If you see a list of APFS volumes, then you know that the partition is still there and can be recovered. To do so, type the following command into Terminal, again replacing “disk0s2” with the actual disk identifier:
diskutil apfs recoverVolume /dev/disk0s2
This will attempt to recover the deleted APFS partition. If it is successful, you should see the partition appear in the Finder. If not, you may need to try a different recovery method.
How to determine the size of your APFS partition
There are a few ways to determine the size of your APFS partition. The most accurate way is to use the “diskutil” command in the Terminal. However, you can also use the “About This Mac” feature in the Finder, or the “System Information” tool.
To use the “diskutil” command, open the Terminal and type in the following:
This will list all of the disks and partitions on your Mac. Locate the entry for your APFS partition and note the “SIZE” column. This is the size of your partition in gigabytes.
To use the “About This Mac” feature, open the Finder and click on the “Apple” menu in the top-left corner of the screen. Then, click on “About This Mac” and select the “Storage” tab. Your APFS partition should be listed here, along with its size.
Finally, you can use the “System Information” tool to find the size of your APFS partition. To do this, open the “Utilities” folder in the Finder and launch the “System Information” app. Select the “Storage” section from the left sidebar and locate your APFS partition in the list. The size of the partition will be displayed next to the “Capacity” label.
How to create a new APFS partition
When you delete an APFS partition, it is not immediately erased from your drive. Instead, the space is marked as free and can be overwritten by new data. However, if you act quickly, you may be able to recover the deleted partition and the data it contains.
There are a few different ways to go about recovering a deleted APFS partition. One is to use a data recovery tool, which can scan your drive and look for the deleted partition. This is usually the easiest and most effective way to recover a deleted partition.
Another way to recover a deleted APFS partition is to use the Disk Utility in macOS. This utility can sometimes see deleted partitions and allow you to recover them. To use this method, open the Disk Utility and select your drive. Then, click the “Partition” button and select the “Recover Partition” option.
If neither of these methods work, you may be able to use the “fsck” command to check your drive for errors and potentially recover the deleted partition. To use this method, you will need to boot into macOS Recovery and open the Terminal. Then, run the “fsck” command with the “-y” option and your drive’s identifier. For example, if your drive is named “MyDrive,” you would run the following command:
fsck_apfs -y /dev/rdisk2s2
This command will check your drive for errors and try to repair them. It may also be able to recover the deleted partition.
If you are still unable to recover the deleted APFS partition, you can try using a third-party data recovery tool. These tools are designed to recover data from drives that have been damaged or erased. They can be expensive, but they may be able to recover your data.
No matter which method you use, it is important to stop using the drive as soon as you realize that a partition has been deleted. This will help to ensure that the data is not overwritten and lost forever.
How to delete an APFS partition
When you delete an APFS partition, it is not immediately erased from your drive. Instead, the space is marked as free and the data is still present on the drive. This is known as “slack space.”
If you want to completely remove the partition and all of its data, you need to use a data eraser tool. This will overwrite the entire drive, including the slack space, and ensure that all data is permanently erased.
There are many data eraser tools available, but we recommend using Disk Drill. Disk Drill is a powerful data recovery tool that can also be used to erase data from your drive.
To use Disk Drill to erase an APFS partition, follow these steps:
1. Download and install Disk Drill on your Mac.
2. Launch Disk Drill and select the APFS drive that you want to erase.
3. Click on the “Erase” button.
4. In the popup window, select the “Secure Erase” option.
5. Select the number of passes that you want to use. The more passes, the more secure the erase will be.
6. Click on the “Erase” button to start the process.
Disk Drill will now erase the entire APFS drive, including the partition that you deleted. All of the data will be permanently erased and you will be able to use the drive for other purposes.
How to recover a deleted APFS partition
When you delete a partition, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the data is gone forever. In some cases, you may be able to recover the deleted partition and get your data back.
There are a few things to keep in mind when trying to recover a deleted partition:
1. The sooner you try to recover the data, the better. This is because the data is still physically on the drive, but it is marked as free space and can be overwritten at any time.
2. If you have any sort of backup, it will be much easier to recover the data. This is because you can just restore the data from the backup instead of having to try and recover it from the drive itself.
3. If the partition was encrypted, it will be much more difficult to recover the data. This is because the data is encrypted and can’t be read without the encryption key.
4. If the partition was formatted, it will be very difficult to recover the data. This is because the data is no longer on the drive in a recognizable form.
5. If the drive was damaged, it may be impossible to recover the data. This is because the data may be physically damaged and unreadable.
If you want to try to recover a deleted partition, there are a few things you can do.
1. Use a data recovery program. There are many different programs that can be used to recover data from a drive. Some are free, while others must be purchased.
2. Send the drive to a data recovery service. These services specialize in recovering data from drives. They will usually be able to recover more data than you would be able to on your own.
3. Try to recreate the partition. If you know the exact size and location of the partition, you may be able to recreate it. This will allow you to access the data that was on the partition.
4. Try to repair the drive. If the drive is damaged, you may be able to repair it. This will allow you to access the data that was on the drive.
5. Contact the manufacturer. In some cases, the manufacturer may be able to help you recover the data.
If you are unable to recover the data yourself, you can always contact a data recovery service. These services specialize in recovering data from drives. They will usually be able to recover more data than you would be able to on your own.
How to troubleshoot an APFS partition
There are a few ways to troubleshoot an APFS partition:
1. Check the size of the partition.
2. Check the file system type.
3. Use the fsck_apfs command.
4. Use the diskutil command.
5. Use the mount command.
1. Check the size of the partition
If you find that the partition is the wrong size, you can use the resize command to resize it.
2. Check the file system type
If you find that the file system type is not APFS, you can use the convert command to convert it to APFS.
3. Use the fsck_apfs command
If you find that the file system is corrupt, you can use the fsck_apfs command to repair it.
4. Use the diskutil command
If you find that the partition is not mounted, you can use the diskutil command to mount it.
5. Use the mount command
If you find that the partition is not mounted, you can use the mount command to mount it.